Occupations and Careers handbook for UAE Nationals
About the programme
Under the guidance of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, the Absher initiative was launched to promote the participation of Emiratis in the labour market and to create job opportunities for them. The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs issued directions for the creation of a Careers Guide for Emiratis under the supervision of a National Technical Committee, established under the oversight of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs.
It comprises representatives from the National Qualifications Authority (NQA), the Ministry of Labour, the Abu Dhabi Tawteen Council and the Abu Dhabi Vocational Education & Training Institute (ADVETI). The Careers Guide is designed within the framework of the country’s goal to diversify its economy in order to achieve sustainable development that does not rely on oil resources alone. This involves creating jobs with added value for Emiratis and increasing their participation in the labour market, particularly in the private sector. The programme aims to:
- Identify the industries with the greatest potential for high-quality jobs for Emiratis and contribute to improving the competitiveness of the UAE, while driving economic growth and sustainable development.
- Give Emirati students and graduates reliable and up-to-date information from which to choose their fields of study and work, while planning their career goals for the long term.
- Compile a comprehensive reference guide to which institutions of higher learning and training, as well as career guidance centres, can refer in order to tailor their educational and training courses in line with market demands, thereby aligning their outputs with the labour market’s requirements.
- Encourage Emiratis both to fill posts that are important to the economy and to increase their participation in the private sector.
- Increase the number of technicians in Information and Communication Technology (ICT).
The Careers Guide will comprise three Sections:
Section 1 : Outlines the strategic aims of the UAE and the targeted economic sectors. It offers recommendations on how to choose the best jobs in those sectors and also provides a classification and overview of each job.
Section 2 : Provides information on selected jobs and the tasks involved, the qualifications and skills required, and the working conditions. It also includes a Salaries Index with examples for specific job titles, so that job seekers will have realistic expectations.
Section 3 : This includes Supplements, and offers advice on how to search for a job and prepare a résumé. It also provides information about government entities involved in education and employment, with links to useful sources.
The production of the final version of this Guide is currently underway and will be released within the Absher Initiative’s Careers Guide Programme.